Thinking inside the frame: A framing analysis of the humanities in Danish print news media

Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

Abstract

The humanities, the natural and social sciences all represent advanced and systematic knowledge production—and they all receive public funding for doing so. However, although the field of public understanding of science has been well established for decades, similar research attention has not been directed at the humanities. The purpose of this study is to argue the case for further research of public understanding of the humanities and to take a first step in that direction by presenting a study of the framing of the humanities in Danish print news media. Different framings of the humanities are analyzed. Despite the differences in the issue-specific frames, the generic framing of the humanities shared by most articles is as follows: 75% explicitly frame the humanities as deficit, while the remaining 25% are more neutral. Consequently, if newspapers constitute the only source of information concerning the humanities, newsreaders may not be much wiser in understanding what the humanities might be—but they will know that whatever the humanities is, it is broken and useless.
Original languageEnglish
JournalPublic Understanding of Science
Volume26
Issue number8
Pages (from-to)908-924
ISSN0963-6625
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2017

Cite this