Ecotourism and transition of larger nature areas; niches in sustainbale tourism and i the construction sector; environmental policy and political strategies; corporate environmental strategies; development of technology and environmental performance; The Ecological State, sustainable transition and related theory.
Environmental Health promotion politics, health promotion integrated in settings
Relevant ongoing research
a) Local citizens involvement in transition of former farmers areas
b) Niche Eco-Tourism development
c) Local deliberation, experimentation and environment.
d) Integrated healthpromotion in settings of specialized schools
d) Sustainable transition of construcvtion and buildings
e) Environmental Health Promotion Policies and Strategies
Work address: Roskilde University Centre, Dept. of Environmental, Social and Spatial Change, Hus 10.2, Box 260, 4000 Roskilde Denmark.
Telephone +45 46 742097, e-mail: JH@ruc.dk
Home Addres: Tværvej 10, Buresø 3550 Slangerup, Denmark. Telephone: +45 44922570
Education, Training and Professional University Merits:
- o 1981-84: Student assistant at DTU, Dept. of Working Conditions, lecturers and project guiding in technology and working conditions
- o Master of Science Degree in Technological and Socio-Economic Planning 1984, Roskilde University (RUC)
- o 1984-87: Teaching assistant at DTU on man-machine interface, at the Technical School, Copenhagen (technical machinery dept.) on technology, environment and regulation
- o Research Fellow at the Dept. of Working Conditions, Technical University of Denmark (DTU) 1984-86
- o Teacher at the Technical School, Copenhagen 1985-87
- o Research Fellow at the Dept. of Environment, Technology and Social Studies, RUC 1986-88.
- o Assistant Professor at the same department 1988-92
- o Associate Professor from 1992 at the same department
- o Guest Associate Professor at Dept of Political Science, Copenhagen University 1997-2001.
- o Director of Studies at the basic social science educational dept., Studienævnet, Sam.Basis, RUC 1994-96
- o Member of the board of Dept. of Environment, Technology and Social Studies, RUC 1996-99
- o Co-director of the international PhD research training network SEPMA, 1995-97
- o Supervisor for 14 phd students at the department, member of evaluation committees for 5 external PhD dissertations, 1996-2007
- o External examinator at the dept. of Development & Planning, AUC, 2003-
- o Developer of a new master combination degree in Sundhedsfremme og Sundheds-strategier, (Health Promotion and Health Strategies), RUC 2004-2006
- o Director of Studies 2001-2006 at the Dept. of Environment, Technology and Social Studies, including International Master of Science in Economic & Socio-Technological Planning
External financed international and national concerted action and R&D activities:
- o International Environmental Regimes, Nordic Research Council, co-ordinated By Lasse Ringius, DMU, Roskilde, 1991-1993
- o Conditions for Success in Environmental Policy, EU´s 4th Environmental research programme, coordinated by Prof. Martin Jänicke, 1993-95
- o The Ecological State, EU´s 5th Environmental research programme, co-ordinated by Prof. Bruno Dente, IPRS, Milano, 1996-98
- o Sustainable Communities in Europe, EU´s 5th Environmental research programme, co-ordinated by Prof. William B. Lafferty, ProSus, 1998-2001
- o Developing project for a Danish post-graduate Master in Environmental Management, sponsored by ELU-SCKK, (The Centre for Development of Human Resources and Quality Management), Director of the development team leading to a part time master degree program. 2000-2002
- o Environmental Innovation, EU Climate and Environment research project: ENVINNO, co-ordinated på Prof. Uwe Schubert, Director of the Danish research team,1998-2001
- o Center for Environmental transition, COMET, coordinated by Prof. Andrew Jamison. Research network financed within the Danish Ministerial Strategic Environmental Research Program, under the CESAM research centre in Århus, 1997-2001
- o KEMI, sponsored by Erhvervsfremmestyrelsen, a Business-research Centre contract in co-operation with DHI, DTU and DTC and a number of firms in three manufacturing chains. 2000-2003
- o Kompetencerejsen, sponsored by SCKK (The Centre for Development of Human Resources and Quality Management), member of a development project for university based strategic development of competencies, 2003-2005
- o Guidet organisatorisk Selvudvikling, a strategic curriculum and management project for The department of Environment, Technology and Social Studies, sponsored by SCKK (The Centre for Development of Human Resources and Quality Management). Director of the development team with Birgitte Steen Hansen, 2004-2006
- o Misonet, a research network sponsored by SSF among Danish environmental sociologists, 2004-2006
- The GRO Project: Greening Regional Food Experiences, an EU Regional Fund R&D Project, 2011-2014, Green Center, Roskilde University, VisitEastDenmark,
- Health Promotion in Institutional settings, sponsored by VækstForum Sjælland and the Tryg Fund, 2011-2014
- Ecological Experience Innovation, an R&D project for local tourism development in Zealand, DK. Financed by Region Sjælland, 2011-2013.
- Den Lærerige Miljøoplevelse [Eco-learning Experience] sponsored by Vækst Forum Sjælland, an R &D program in registration, enhancing and promoting learning experiences on ecological destinations in Denmark. 2009-2012.
- KIBS, Klimaorienteret Byggeri I Region Sjælland,[Climate-oriented Construction Governance in Zealand] sponsored by Vækst Forum Sjælland, 2009-2014, a R &D program in analyzing, transition strategies in environmental construction and housing politics.
- Environmental Innovation, EU Climate and Environment research project: ENVINNO,1998-2001.
- o Fællessekretariatets uddannelsesgruppe for Naturvejlederordningen (FUN), member of the educational development team in the Danish Nature Interpreter Organisation, 2005-2007
- o Member of the Planning Expert Committee on Planning, DN, Danish Society for Nature Conservation, 2005-
- o Jesper Holm, Bente Kjærgård & Niels Kaare Pedersen (eds) "Miljøregulering - tværfaglige studier", Roskilde Universitetsforlag, p. 1-361, 1997
- o Jesper Holm, Carsten Jahn, Jeppe Læssøe, Arne Remmen & Lars Kjerulf Petersen (eds): Brud og bevægelser i miljøindsatsen. Økologisk modernisering på dansk ( Environmental Efforts. Ecological Modernisation in Danish), Frydenlund, 2007
Environmental Communication; environmental policy and political strategies; corporate environmental strategies; development of technology and environmental performance; State Theory.
Relevant ongoing research
a) Innovative impacts on enterprises from environmental and technological policy and stakeholder relations
b) Local Agenda 21, deliberation, experimentation and environment.
c) Environmental transition and technological systems
d) Environmental Communication
e) Environmental Health Promotion Policies and Strategies
Recent Papers & Publications
- Jesper Holm: Local Agenda 21 Governance in Scandinavia - experimentation and modernisation for sustainable development. Paper for the conference: A New Sustainability Agenda - ENSPAC, RUC 11.12. 2006,
- Jesper Holm: Building Transdisciplinary Environmental Studies. in: Björn Frostell (ed.) Science for Sustainable Development, CVU, Sweden, 2006
- Hansen, O. E., Søndergård, B., Holm, J., & Kerndrup, S.. Creation and Communication of Environmental Knowledge within and between Communities of Practice in: Corporate Sustainability: Theoretical Perspectives and Practical Approaches. (s. 227-254). Wien: Profil Verlag. 2005
- Holm, J., Bjørnæs, T., Joas, M., & Eckerberg, K. (2005, jun.). Local Agenda 21 Governance in Scandinavia - Modernisation and Transition. Paper fremlagt ved 7th Nordic Environmental Social Science Research Conference, Gothenborg, Sverige. Jesper
- Jesper Holm: Participation and Consensus-seeking for Sustainable Development?, in Gustavo Riberio, Søren Lund and Michael Mullins (eds.): Debating Participation, Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, Scholl of Architecture, CPH, 2004, Jesper Holm
- Jesper Holm: Den politiske bager og økologipolitik, in: Chritian Frankel (ed.): Virksomhedens politisering, Samfundslitteratur, København, 2004
- Jesper Holm, Ole Erik Hansen & Bent Søndergård: Environmental Policy and Environment-oriented Technology Policy in Denmark, In Geerten Schrama and Sabine Sedlacek (eds.), Environmental and Technology Policy in Europe - Technological Innovation and Policy Integration, p. 59 - 96, Kluwer 2003,
- Jesper Holm & Inger Stauning: Ecological Modernisation and ‘Our Daily Bread' - Variations in the Transition of the Food Sector, Journal of Transdisciplinary Environmental Studies (TES), Vol.1/nr.1, 2002. 13 p. http://www.journal-tes.dk/,
- Bent Søndergård, Søren Kerndrup, Jesper Holm, Ole Erik Hansen: Environmental Communication on Chemicals: Knowledge creation and transfer in and between communities of practice, Paper presented at The 10th GIN Conference, Göteborg, 23-26. June, 2002,
- Jesper Holm: Green innovation, in Six Countries Programme Conference, February 28 - March 1. 2002
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):