Thermal stability of the DSC ruthenium dye C106 in robust electrolytes

Torben Lund, Nguyen Tuyet Phuong, Peter Pechy, Shaik M Zakeeruddin, Michael Grätzel, Hai Minh Tran

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

Resumé

We have investigated the thermal stability of the heteroleptic ruthenium complex C106 employed as a sensitizer in dye- sensitized solar cells. The C106 was adsorbed on TiO2 particles and exposed to 2 different iodide/triidode based redox electrolytes A and B at 80 ºC for up to 1500 hours in sealed glass ampules. Both electrolytes contain guanidiniumthiocyanate (GuNCS) and N-butylbenzimidazole (NBB) as additives. Electrolyte A: 1,3-dimethylimidazolium iodide (1.0M), I2 (0.15M), NBB (0.5M), and GuNCS (0.1 M) in methoxypropionitrile and electrolyte B: 1,3-dimethylimidazolium iodide/1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium iodide/1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium iodide/I2/NBB/GuNCS (molar ratio: 12/12/16/1.67/3.33/0.67) and sulfolane (1:1 v/v). The samples were prepared either in ambient air or under strict atmospheric moisture control in a glove box We extracted samples of the dispersion at regular intervals desorbed the dye from the TiO2 particles and analyzed its by HPLC coupled to UV/Vis and electro spray mass spectrometry. Samples prepared in the glove box gave the highest stability with a steady state photo anode surface concentration of 80% C106 intact and the remaining ~20% being the N-butylbenzimidazole (NBB) substitution products 3 and 4 formed by replacement of the thiocyanate ligand by NBB after 1500 hours of heating at 80 ºC. Samples prepared under ambient conditions gave a steady state C106 concentration of 60% of the initial value and 40 % substitution products. The C106 degradation was found to be independent of the degree of dye loading of the TiO2 particles and the ratio between the amount of dyed TiO2 particles and electrolyte volume. Assuming that this substitution is the predominant loss mechanism in a DSC during thermal stress, we estimate the reduction in the DSC efficiency after long term heat to be 12-24% depending on the degree of atmospheric control during the DSC fabrication.
OriginalsprogEngelsk
TidsskriftSolar Energy
Vol/bind110
Sider (fra-til)96-104
Antal sider9
ISSN0038-092X
DOI
StatusUdgivet - 2014

Citer dette

Lund, T., Phuong, N. T., Pechy, P., Zakeeruddin, S. M., Grätzel, M., & Tran, H. M. (2014). Thermal stability of the DSC ruthenium dye C106 in robust electrolytes. Solar Energy, 110, 96-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2014.09.007
Lund, Torben ; Phuong, Nguyen Tuyet ; Pechy, Peter ; Zakeeruddin, Shaik M ; Grätzel, Michael ; Tran, Hai Minh. / Thermal stability of the DSC ruthenium dye C106 in robust electrolytes. I: Solar Energy. 2014 ; Bind 110. s. 96-104.
@article{fd06b503ac5148aa82586396a555eee5,
title = "Thermal stability of the DSC ruthenium dye C106 in robust electrolytes",
abstract = "We have investigated the thermal stability of the heteroleptic ruthenium complex C106 employed as a sensitizer in dye-sensitized solar cells. The C106 was adsorbed on TiO2 particles and exposed to 2 different iodide/triidode based redox electrolytes A and B at 80 °C for up to 1500 h in sealed glass ampules. Both electrolytes contain guanidiniumthiocyanate (GuNCS) and N-butylbenzimidazole (NBB) as additives. Electrolyte A: 1,3-dimethylimidazolium iodide (1.0 M), I2 (0.15 M), NBB (0.5 M), and GuNCS (0.1 M) in methoxypropionitrile and electrolyte B: 1,3-dimethylimidazolium iodide/1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium iodide/1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium iodide/I2/NBB/GuNCS (molar ratio: 12/12/16/1.67/3.33/0.67) and sulfolane (1:1 v/v). The samples were prepared either in ambient air or under strict atmospheric moisture control in a glove box We extracted samples of the dispersion at regular intervals desorbed the dye from the TiO2 particles and analyzed its by HPLC coupled to UV/Vis and electro spray mass spectrometry. Samples prepared in the glove box gave the highest stability with a steady state photo anode surface concentration of 80{\%} C106 intact and the remaining ∼20{\%} being the N-butylbenzimidazole (NBB) substitution products 3 and 4 formed by replacement of the thiocyanate ligand by NBB after 1500 h of heating at 80 °C. Samples prepared under ambient conditions gave a steady state C106 concentration of 60{\%} of the initial value and 40{\%} substitution products. The C106 degradation was found to be independent of the degree of dye loading of the TiO2 particles and the ratio between the amount of dyed TiO2 particles and electrolyte volume. Assuming that this substitution is the predominant loss mechanism in a DSC during thermal stress, we estimate the reduction in the DSC efficiency after long term heat to be 12–24{\%} depending on the degree of atmospheric control during the DSC fabrication",
author = "Torben Lund and Phuong, {Nguyen Tuyet} and Peter Pechy and Zakeeruddin, {Shaik M} and Michael Gr{\"a}tzel and Tran, {Hai Minh}",
year = "2014",
doi = "10.1016/j.solener.2014.09.007",
language = "English",
volume = "110",
pages = "96--104",
journal = "Solar Energy",
issn = "0038-092X",
publisher = "Elsevier Ltd",

}

Lund, T, Phuong, NT, Pechy, P, Zakeeruddin, SM, Grätzel, M & Tran, HM 2014, 'Thermal stability of the DSC ruthenium dye C106 in robust electrolytes', Solar Energy, bind 110, s. 96-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2014.09.007

Thermal stability of the DSC ruthenium dye C106 in robust electrolytes. / Lund, Torben; Phuong, Nguyen Tuyet; Pechy, Peter; Zakeeruddin, Shaik M ; Grätzel, Michael; Tran, Hai Minh.

I: Solar Energy, Bind 110, 2014, s. 96-104.

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

TY - JOUR

T1 - Thermal stability of the DSC ruthenium dye C106 in robust electrolytes

AU - Lund, Torben

AU - Phuong, Nguyen Tuyet

AU - Pechy, Peter

AU - Zakeeruddin, Shaik M

AU - Grätzel, Michael

AU - Tran, Hai Minh

PY - 2014

Y1 - 2014

N2 - We have investigated the thermal stability of the heteroleptic ruthenium complex C106 employed as a sensitizer in dye-sensitized solar cells. The C106 was adsorbed on TiO2 particles and exposed to 2 different iodide/triidode based redox electrolytes A and B at 80 °C for up to 1500 h in sealed glass ampules. Both electrolytes contain guanidiniumthiocyanate (GuNCS) and N-butylbenzimidazole (NBB) as additives. Electrolyte A: 1,3-dimethylimidazolium iodide (1.0 M), I2 (0.15 M), NBB (0.5 M), and GuNCS (0.1 M) in methoxypropionitrile and electrolyte B: 1,3-dimethylimidazolium iodide/1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium iodide/1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium iodide/I2/NBB/GuNCS (molar ratio: 12/12/16/1.67/3.33/0.67) and sulfolane (1:1 v/v). The samples were prepared either in ambient air or under strict atmospheric moisture control in a glove box We extracted samples of the dispersion at regular intervals desorbed the dye from the TiO2 particles and analyzed its by HPLC coupled to UV/Vis and electro spray mass spectrometry. Samples prepared in the glove box gave the highest stability with a steady state photo anode surface concentration of 80% C106 intact and the remaining ∼20% being the N-butylbenzimidazole (NBB) substitution products 3 and 4 formed by replacement of the thiocyanate ligand by NBB after 1500 h of heating at 80 °C. Samples prepared under ambient conditions gave a steady state C106 concentration of 60% of the initial value and 40% substitution products. The C106 degradation was found to be independent of the degree of dye loading of the TiO2 particles and the ratio between the amount of dyed TiO2 particles and electrolyte volume. Assuming that this substitution is the predominant loss mechanism in a DSC during thermal stress, we estimate the reduction in the DSC efficiency after long term heat to be 12–24% depending on the degree of atmospheric control during the DSC fabrication

AB - We have investigated the thermal stability of the heteroleptic ruthenium complex C106 employed as a sensitizer in dye-sensitized solar cells. The C106 was adsorbed on TiO2 particles and exposed to 2 different iodide/triidode based redox electrolytes A and B at 80 °C for up to 1500 h in sealed glass ampules. Both electrolytes contain guanidiniumthiocyanate (GuNCS) and N-butylbenzimidazole (NBB) as additives. Electrolyte A: 1,3-dimethylimidazolium iodide (1.0 M), I2 (0.15 M), NBB (0.5 M), and GuNCS (0.1 M) in methoxypropionitrile and electrolyte B: 1,3-dimethylimidazolium iodide/1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium iodide/1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium iodide/I2/NBB/GuNCS (molar ratio: 12/12/16/1.67/3.33/0.67) and sulfolane (1:1 v/v). The samples were prepared either in ambient air or under strict atmospheric moisture control in a glove box We extracted samples of the dispersion at regular intervals desorbed the dye from the TiO2 particles and analyzed its by HPLC coupled to UV/Vis and electro spray mass spectrometry. Samples prepared in the glove box gave the highest stability with a steady state photo anode surface concentration of 80% C106 intact and the remaining ∼20% being the N-butylbenzimidazole (NBB) substitution products 3 and 4 formed by replacement of the thiocyanate ligand by NBB after 1500 h of heating at 80 °C. Samples prepared under ambient conditions gave a steady state C106 concentration of 60% of the initial value and 40% substitution products. The C106 degradation was found to be independent of the degree of dye loading of the TiO2 particles and the ratio between the amount of dyed TiO2 particles and electrolyte volume. Assuming that this substitution is the predominant loss mechanism in a DSC during thermal stress, we estimate the reduction in the DSC efficiency after long term heat to be 12–24% depending on the degree of atmospheric control during the DSC fabrication

U2 - 10.1016/j.solener.2014.09.007

DO - 10.1016/j.solener.2014.09.007

M3 - Journal article

VL - 110

SP - 96

EP - 104

JO - Solar Energy

JF - Solar Energy

SN - 0038-092X

ER -